Persian Love Cake

Friday, July 08, 2016



I've never been to La Boqueria in Barcelona or the Mellah Spice Souk in Marrakech but I love to read about these places in magazines and books. I imagine that they are noisy, bustling, sticky underfoot and smell intoxicating.
This persian love cake, from Annabel Crabb and Wendy Sharpe's book Special Delivery, made the kitchen smell amazing. The air was heavy with the warm scent of nutmeg (there is an entire tablespoon of the stuff in this recipe) and if I closed my eyes I could almost imagine myself in one of those spice markets - complete with sticky floors (thanks kids).
There are a few spice cakes that I love and make regularly - cinnamon cake, ginger and apple cake, cinnamon apple pie cake, my mother-in-law's kruidkoek and I am going to add this one to the list. With a dollop of greek yogurt and some orange segments it is a delicious antidote to grey day yawns.
***
Breathe in.
Breathe out.
Heart full.
***
Eleanor suggested suite as the collective noun for cupcakes. Suite/sweet - it is completely perfect. Thank you dear poet!

2 comments:

Megan :

I would make it for the name alone. And suite of cupcakes? Completely, completely perfect.

Eleanor from your commentbox :

Oh look, I'm in your blog post :-)

Next time I see you I'll bring my spice cake (my grandma's recipe) xx

Duyvken All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger