Citrus and Podcasts

Friday, May 01, 2015


Oranges and lemons,
Say the bells of St Clements.
You owe me five farthings
Say the bells of St Martins
When will you pay me?
Say the bells of Old Bailey
When I grow rich,
Say the bells of Shoreditch
When will that be?
Say the bells of Stepney.
I do not know,
Says the great bell of Bow.
Here comes a candle to light you to bed,
And here comes a chopper to chop off your head!

I recently started listening to podcasts and I have quickly developed a few favourites. I keep trying to write a decent post about them all but get mired down in it and then pulled away by something more pressing so instead I offer you a list.

1. Chat 10 Looks 3
This is a fairly regular recording of conversations between Annabel Crabb and Leigh Sales. Australians will know immediately who these two are but overseas readers might not have come across these political journalists before. They are both very interesting and compelling in their own right and when they chat it is truly delightful. They cover a broad range of topics that can generally be grouped under the heading of 'recent favourites'. Things they have read, watched, cooked and chatted about are covered and I have then read, watched and cooked some of the things that they recommend and thoroughly enjoyed them all. 
My mum has developed a bit of a relationship with the crossword writers over all the years that she has been doing the puzzle in the Sydney Morning Herald. She knows as soon as she sees the initials in the bottom corner how difficult it is going to be. Some writers think the way she thinks and speak the same cultural language so she finds those puzzles easier and more enjoyable. I feel that way about these two women. The books they reference in discussion are often books I have read and some of the things they have recommended that I have then read have been absolute pearlers. I love seeing the notification pop up on my phone when there is a new episode available.

Alec Baldwin chats to various people (actors, artists, writers, etc) and although he isn't someone I have ever warmed to he has a beautiful tone to his voice and the conversations are compelling. I don't know how he does it but I love listening to it. 

The famed Serial podcast led me to this very popular podcast and there is so much about it that is delightful. Ira Glass has a wonderfully unique voice, the storytelling structure is strictly adhered to and gives each episode a lovely and predictable rhythm and all the stories are a little window into a life far from my own and yet very recognisable.

4. Conversations with Richard Fidler
One of my favourite radio programs is also available as podcast. I am not often listening to the radio when the show is on so being able to catch up when it suits me feels very luxurious.

Do you have any favourites you can share, dear Reader?

2 comments:

Stomper Girl :

I adore The Infinite Monkey Cage, a science panel show podcast with Professor Brian Cox and comedian Robin Ince. Interesting and hilarious. I also love the News Quiz hosted by Sandi Toksvig but it is very topical to the UK so I don't understand all the jokes! I can also identify how hard the cryptic crossword will be from the setters' initials.

Eleanor :


Oh look, Stomper!! Hi Stomper.

I recommend PoemTalk, here's tbe link:
http://jacket2.org/content/poem-talk

E x

Duyvken All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger