The Good China

Monday, January 26, 2015


We decided a long time ago to just use the 'good' china rather than have it sitting in the cupboards. Sometimes things get broken (rather a lot of things have been broken over this summer, mostly drinking glasses) but I enjoy eating off nice plates for every meal and spooning sugar out of this beautiful dish for our lemon and sugar pancakes. My parents collected a pattern similar to this and many years ago I saw this and a few other pieces in the window of a local antique shop. It turns out Mr Duyvken and my father had also noticed it in the window. My father went in and bought half of what they had as a gift for my mother. Then, My Duyvken went in and bought the remaining pieces as a gift to me. It was quite funny when we realised that all three of us had noticed it without ever mentioning it to anyone else. A couple of years after that my parents gave me the pieces they had as a birthday present. So, now they all sit together on a shelf in my kitchen reminding me of two of my favourite men.
Life is too short to save things for special occasions.

1 comments:

blackbird :

Very pretty, the good china, and an excellent idea to actually use it, IMO.

Duyvken All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger