Happiness is being 9 months old... or being near someone who is.

Monday, July 14, 2014


I think the littlest duckling may have been reading some of the baby development books because she is ticking off all the milestones in the expected timeframes. She is crawling and trying to pull herself up on things. She loves taking things out of a container and then putting them all back in again. She likes playing the repeat after me game with her big sister, C. She loves board books, clapping hands, music and eating.
She also constantly has her tongue sticking out. It's her signature move, like JW's head tilt or J's use of the phrase 'just to say...' when he wants to tell you something that isn't pertinent to the current conversation. She premiered it shortly after birth and seems to be sticking with it.


It's quite handy because it helps us distinguish between photos the duckling and photos of C at the same age. The resemblance is uncanny.


Genes are amazing. Looking at these photos I now feel like a temporary home for my DNA, a vessel into which the precious people soup has been poured, to be distributed into other vessels and then discarded. I imagine lines of ducklings stretching out into the past and the future with only slight variations distinguishing one from another. We are all DNA express envelopes. We are all of the earth. We are all precious vessels.
***
Breathe in.
Breathe out.
Heart full.
***

7 comments:

Julie :

Sigh. Such a lovely post. Amazing how it feels like already I have forgotten the putting things in and out of containers phase, and all those little things that all those little people do: dropping things for the pleasure of watching them fall (and someone else picking them up); carrying things around the house in bags; pouring liquid from one vessel to another. SO nice to be reminded.

kim at allconsuming :

She's just an absolute poppet.

And yes, I often see us as just the merest of blips in a long line of history, of lives intertwining, ebbing and flowing.

Kris Butson :

Just beautiful. xx

Jen :

What a doll. Nine months old is my absolute favorite age. Enjoy it!

Megan :

She's just so gorgeous.

Fairlie :

Gorgeous duckling! What an interesting concept that we're all just temporary homes for our DNA. You expressed it so beautifully.

Heather :

Great pictures! My name is Heather and I was hoping you would be able to answer my quick question about your blog! My email is Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail(dot)com :-) I would greatly appreciate it!

Duyvken All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger