Baby Name of the Week - Calliope

Sweetie - 2 days old
There has been more coverage and discussion than I think is really necessary about Kim Kardashian's baby's name. I have, up until now, been able to avoid the Kardashian thing. I fall outside the target demographic and I am really not impressed by using a sex tape as a step towards fame. But even I have been hearing a lot about the name and, since baby names are currently on my radar, I instantly tagged it yes or no. A little girl named North? I like it. Although North is not the compass point name that I would choose for my own little one. My grandmother's maiden name was Weston and I always thought it would be a great name for a boy, shortened to West, like one of the characters in Margaret Atwood's The Robber Bride.
However, this baby I am carrying is sporting some very lovely XX chromosomes so we're looking for a girl's name and that's a bit of a dilemma. Mr Duyvken and I always have trouble settling on a name and, having used 3 of our favourite girl's names already, I know this is going to take a while. So, rather than exclusively bore Mr Duyvken with my endless suggestions, I am going to share them here with you, dear reader. Mr Duyvken thanks you in advance.
My first name suggestion is Calliope.
The muse of epic poetry in Greek mythology.
Meaning: beautifully voiced.
Shortens to: Callie.

Comments

Mary said…
Still a very popular name in Greece. The diminutive is Popi (Poppy) ..very sweet
Michelle C. said…
Do you get Grey's Anatomy on TV? Calliope is one of the main characters. I'm going to be a bad judge on this because for me "Callie/Calliope" is linked to her.

I always love your baby name choices though!
Jen said…
I, too, immediately think of Grey's Anatomy. My favorite girl's name, which LB always vetoed for both people and pets, is Gertrude.
Eleanor said…
IT'S A GIRL
IT'S A GIRL
IT'S A GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!

I suddenly thought "Must check on Duyvken's blog" and I find this exciting news regarding gender.

Love Calliope.

E x

Popular Posts