Keep Showing Up


Mr Duyvken is slumming it on a conference for work at the moment and I have pulled out all the bits and pieces that will be Zara's quilt. I'm at that frustrating stage I reach with everything I sew/write/make where I am convinced it is going to be very ordinary and not worth all the effort I have put in thus far. Perhaps I have to go through this stage so that when it is finished I can step back thinking 'hey that's better than I thought it was going to be' but I don't like this stage. It always slows me down. There's a quote I really like from a Ted Talk that I always think of when I am at this particular bit of quiltmaking - “‘Ole!’ to you, just for having the sheer human love and stubbornness to keep showing up.” 
That talk is about creative genius and I am certainly not making that claim about my very domestic quilts but the description of the process of persistence in the face of mediocrity that leads to a satisfying outcome is a good one.
In this particular case stubbornness is ably assisted by a sweet niece who regularly asks me if her blanket is done yet. Not long now, dear Zara, aunty duyvken is just going to keep showing up until it's finished. 
***
The Ted Talk is by Elizabeth Gilbert and you can find it here.

Comments

Mary said…
The colours are beautiful and so is that quote.

Popular Posts