A diamonds quilt for Zara

Saturday, March 16, 2013

As anticipated, I stepped back when this was finished and though to myself, 'hey, that's better than I thought it was going to be.'


My niece saw me working on C's scooter quilt and fell in love with the soft minky backing. She really wanted one all for herself so she picked some fabrics from the stash (all pink, the brighter the better) and I promised to make her a quilt.
The design was dictated by the fabrics that I had on hand, several of the prints she chose were relatively small pieces that I had left over from other projects and I really wanted to use all the ones she had picked so I went with simple half-square triangles with a little scrap of fabric on the white corner. The big squares are 'perfect' and the small squares are fractured shapes. She'll be able to find all the fabric pieces that she picked if she looks closely enough at those smaller shapes. 



The white fabric was a bit tricky to work with. It is an old doona cover that I cut up and it has quite a bit of stretch. At times I wasn't sure if it would sit flat at all but it turned out OK. Minky backing is always a little tricky to work with because it is so soft and slippery. I spray basted before adding the quilt ties this time and it definitely helped.


Bound in pink polka dots, washed and dried so that it is perfectly crinkly and soft and ready to snuggle. I even found this bag (from one of Aunty S's european work trips) to put it in.


We drove over and left it on the doorstep so that it would be waiting for her when she got home from school yesterday. I hope she thinks it's been worth the wait!


2 comments:

blackbird :

It's wonderful!

Julie :

how could she not. Exquisite.

Duyvken All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger