Carrot Cake

Thursday, July 19, 2012

I never understand people who claim not to like cakes or desserts. I guess I understand preferring savoury things to sweet things but to actually take a permanent stand about never eating dessert makes no sense to me at all. In fact, were you to make that statement to me I would probably wonder how much I could trust you. Or I would start thinking that perhaps you were being a little passive-aggressive and suggesting that I shouldn't be eating dessert either. So, a word of advice: should we ever meet and you don't want dessert say something non-committal about simply not feeling like it right now.
 We had My Duyvken's only brother and his gorgeous wife over for dinner on Sunday night and I baked carrot cake. I had been craving carrot cake all week so it was the perfect excuse to make it. I stacked the cakes atop one another with cream cheese icing in between and then slathered the whole thing in more cream cheese icing before decorating it with walnuts. It was very decadent and very delicious.
 In fact, it was so good that I made another one yesterday to give to a friend who recently had a baby, a beautiful boy named Denver. It is well documented that I like to trade food for newborn cuddles. I used the same recipe as on Sunday night but I made two separate cakes this time and kept one for us. We had a midnight feast (at 8:30 - got to love having young children) and the kids were beside themselves with the excitement of staying up late and eating cake. Apparently, it didn't last long at Denver's house either.

  • Carrot Cake
  • Ingredients
  • Cake
  • 2 carrots, grated
  • 1 cup self-raising flour
  • 1/2 cup plain flour
  • 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup oil
  • 1/2 cup golden syrup
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence
  • 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
  • Icing
    Icing sugar mixture
  • 270g cream cheese
  • vanilla bean paste

  • Method
  • Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease 2 20cm round cake pans lightly with oil, and line with non-stick baking paper. * Peel and grate the carrots, and set aside. Sift the flours, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon into a large bowl.
  • * Put the brown sugar, oil, golden syrup, eggs and vanilla in a separate bowl. Mix until combined.
  • * Pour the oil mixture into the dry ingredients. Use a wooden spoon to stir gently until just combined. Stir in the grated carrot and walnuts
  • * Pour the mixture into the two tins and bake for 16 mins or until a skewer comes out clean. Set aside for 5 minutes, before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
  • * Beat the cream cheese and vanilla paste, adding enough icing sugar to make the icing your desired consistency and taste. This is quite individual but I like my icing to still taste very much like cream cheese so don't add too much icing sugar. 

2 comments:

Lynn :

Great minds -- the boys and I actually ate blueberry crisp with vanilla ice cream AS OUR DINNER this evening. It was thrilling, and we had two portions apiece.

(Your cake looks yummy, and if you ever hear me bad-mouthing cake it is because so many are dry as dust. Not yours, I am certain!)

sophie :

Yummo! I never say say no to cake.

Duyvken All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger