Dinner - Ponyo Soup

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Thanks for the lovely comments on my most recent post. They have generated many more thoughts so I am bound to throw a few more pondering parenting posts your way before these holidays are over. But, while I am thinking about exactly what I'll write let me share a recipe for a simple dinner that we had tonight, Ponyo Soup. That's just regular noodle soup but with eggs like Ponyo and Sosuke have for dinner in the movie. The kids love that film and I think that they will enjoy the new Studio Ghibli movie too. It's based on The Borrowers books and if they haven't strayed too far from the original stories it is bound to be a lovely film.
These measurements are a little sketchy because, like all good soups, the quantities are slightly different each time so feel free to make any adjustments you want to make depending on how you like it.

 
 
 

Ponyo Soup


Ingredients
4 litres water
2 vegie stock cubes (I use massell)
1/2 to 1 cup light soy sauce
1/2 to 1 cup shao shing cooking wine
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 red chilli
1/2 onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
3 boy choy, washed well and chopped
fine noodles (I used wheat noodles)
boiled eggs/tofu
crispy fried shallots
sriracha hot sauce

Method
Bring the water to a simmer (not a boil) and add the stock cubes, diced onion and diced carrot and continue to simmer for 5 mins to soften the vegetables.
Add the soy sauce, cooking wine and sesame oil, stirring to combine. Add the red chilli whole.
Lightly simmer for a further 10 mins and then add the noodles and the stems of the bok choy leaving the green leaves aside.
In a separate saucepan prepare the boiled eggs and by the time they are ready the noodles should be well cooked.
Remove the chilli at the this stage and discard. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
Serve in large bowls, adding the boy choy leaves, the eggs, the fried shallots and the hot sauce just before eating.

I am not a fan of eggs (that's Mr Duyvken's bowl pictured above) and the kids didn't like them either so I think I'll stick with tofu next time. It was fun trying it though and the kids enjoyed eating a ponyo style dinner.

3 comments:

The Coffee Lady :

That looks great. And we love a hard-boiled egg. Whenever I cook with tofu it just disintegrates.

Eleanor :

Ponyo soup. Best ever. Weird coincidence which is freaking me out -

Just this morning I bought an album (off iTunes) of Studio Ghibli's music. I listened to it as I power-walked and it cheered me up so much, and I thought "I must remember to tell Duvvy that she and her brood might enjoy this music too."

Cooking With Josh :

It's amazing how many soup recipes this movie inspired--here's mine! http://wp.me/p1hboa-aa

Duyvken All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger