Coulda been a contender

I am so bummed!! Mr Duyvken did the Mont 24 hr mountain bike event in Canberra on the weekend and when he got home yesterday he said that we could have gone with him. People were there camping with their families, one of his teammates and his family had made a weekend of it and they were staying in Canberra. They have kids the same age as G and J and we love spending time with them so it would have been a lot of fun. I know a few of my crafting friends were there for the handmade market and I am desperate to take the kids to Questacon and the National Gallery. I could have taken them for a walk/scooter ride around the lake, could have visited my aunt and uncle and just enjoyed having a couple of days to explore a new place while Mr Duyvken was riding loops through the bush.
Canberra is just few hours away but we've only been once in the 10 years we've been parents (and that was a daytrip for my cousin's wedding) even though we often talk about taking the kids there for a little holiday.
Apparently, Mr Duyvken knew last Thursday that the other family was going a tried to find accomodation for us but couldn't get anything. I wish he'd mentioned it to me because I KNOW I could have found something! The kids and I had a very fun weekend but I imagine we would have had a much better time in Canberra.
So, now I am planning a visit for later in the year, any tips on places we should visit or good things to do with the kids?
I hope you all enjoyed your weekend!

Comments

Mary said…
Buggerty bugger!

Canberra is fantastic for the kids - Questacon of course but also the Art Gallery, the War Memorial - the tulips if you go down at Floriade time...

Then swing by Jervis bay for a day or two of white sands and blue water..
The Coffee Lady said…
It's a bygone. Don't lose any more sleep over it.
Corrie said…
oh no! men, honestly don't you love when they tell you this information AFTER the event!!!!

we did the gallery and oh my gosh I loved it and so did keira! it was so amazing to see van gogh and monet here in australia right in front of you!

try to go when handmade is on in june! we just got back from the mantra where the apartment was huge and they did a 2 night special! it was all lovely and new with a big kitchen, laundry and a block to the city!!!!!!1
CC said…
My twins were only 11 months old when we were there last year so I'm on the lookout for good things to do with kids for our next trip (later in the year), too. If you like Bison stoneware (http://www.bisonhome.com/) there is a shop/workshop in Pialligo. I bought some lovely bowls for gifts (and maybe a few for myself).
Suzy said…
Canberra is great for kids. Last time we did the War Memorial and the NGA, and then a ride around the lake. Oh - and I went to the new portrait gallery while the boys went to the museum. Next time I want to check out Cockington Green, I read about it on Rummage and it looks like fun.
Suzy said…
PS - we stayed at the Mantra too and it was great, much easier to stay in an apartment than hotel rooms.
M said…
are you up for bike-riding as a family? We take the bikes and ride around Parliament, the War Memorial etc. Fabulous. Like the others say - a great place for the family.

Popular Posts