Dinner tonight

I went to a wonderful japanese cooking class yesterday afternoon so tonight's dinner is courtesy of our delightful teacher, Keiko. Agedashi tofu, cooked by me and eaten by all. I'll definitely be making this again!

Agedashi Tofu
Ingredients
2 packets firm tofu
vegetable oil for deep frying
potato starch (this is the secret ingredient, I have tried several times to recreate the chilli, salt and pepper tofu that my local malaysian/chinese restaurant makes with ZERO success but now that I know to use potato starch I should be able to make it. That's on the menu for later this week, wish me luck!)
grated daikon radish
grated ginger
finely chopped shallots
sliced red chilli
Sauce:
2 cups water
1 tsp dashi powder
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup sake
1 tsp sugar
pinch of salt
Method
1. Cut the tofu into rectangular slices about 2cm thick.
2. Arrange the tofu slices on paper towels and leave 10-15mins to drain. Change the paper towels and turn the slices over.
3. Toss tofu slices lightly in potato starch.
4. Pat off any excess starch and slide into the hot oil until golden.
5. Fry until golden brown, turning once. Drain on paper towels.
6. Arrange in a compote-type dish, pour over the hot sauce, top with condiments and serve hot.

Comments

Lynn said…
Sheesh! Could we form a commune and you could be the cook?
blackbird said…
1. Yum.

2. Thank you for inspiring me to post for Mary.
Corrie said…
how cute is keiko!!!!!!!! I love her, she's a sweet lady!
you'd like her patternmaking!

Corrie:)

Popular Posts