Gift Quilting

Still no photo drive or photoshop on the computer so I can't share the photos with you but I have started on a project for my mother-in-law. She turns 60 in March and we are going north to Forster for a weekend to celebrate. There is lot's of party planning, lot's of gift planning and lot's of logisitics to be worked out getting everyone up there for the weekend, feeding them and finding them places to sleep but it's all progressing well and it should be a lot of fun. I'll be insanely pregnant by then so I am not looking forward the drive there and back but hopefully the baby will be kind and I won't be too cumbersome. Ha! I can hope, right?

My mother-in-law is dutch and although none of her children speak dutch there are plenty of dutch traditions and expressions that are well-loved in the family - muisjes for all the baptisms, a bang up feast on Christmas Eve and plenty of coffee and cake mornings throughout the year. It is this last one that is the basis for my gift. In dutch these little gatherings, which are rather like afternoon tea, are known as koffie uurtje so I am making a quilted table runner for her to use on these occasions that has 'Koffie Uurtje' appliqued on it. This is my first table runner, my first attempt at applique, I am heavily pregnant and her birthday is just a month away! I really don't know if it will be finished in time and I am determined not to stress about it. If it all comes together - brilliant, if not - I can give it to her for Christmas. I love it when a plan has a viable back-up.

So, until the photo drive is back in action you'll just have to take my word for my productive evenings and I will leave you with some pics of books I am currently coveting. Of course, I still haven't made a single thing out of the Modern Quilt Workshop book so no quilt books for me until I make at least one thing!


Denyse Schmidt Quilts: 30 Colourful Quilt and Patchwork Projects (above) and Make Your Own Contemporary Quilts (below).

Comments

Cascade Lily said…
What a very good idea to have a back-up plan. We pregnant ladies need to give ourselves some elbow room ;)

I bought the Denyse Schmidt book too. Lots of lovely ideas. Just have to find the time!

Popular Posts