A machine of my own

I'm feeling like a very lucky girl tonight because after years of borrowing my mum's or my mother-in-law's sewing machine I finally have a machine all of my own. I took a few hours to myself yesterday afternoon while Mr Duyvken is home on holidays and browsed the machines at one of my local craft stores and I came home with a Pfaff Smart 100s. It's a very basic machine but it should serve me well and so far it is a dream to work with, fiddling with tension settings for every row of stitch is almost a distant memory. The store was having a New Year sale on all the Pfaff machines and it was reduced by $100 which brought it down into my price bracket so I took a deep breath and bought it!



My current project is a single bed quilt for J's big boy bed and this machine is speeding up the process dramatically! I'm using Alexander Henry fabric 2d zoo and a handful of solids. I like the simple, graphic nature of the quilt design (12 squares against a light blue background, no borders and an as yet undetermined binding) because I think it will allow the fabric to take centre stage and I LOVE the fabric. Alexander Henry's designs remind me of John Coburn's work - graphic, bold, evocative and beautiful. I think my little man will like it as well.

Comments

Popular Posts