Major discovery today

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

This is almost embarrasing to admit but I have been stab stitching all my hand quilting - no wonder it takes me so long! I was looking through a quilt book in the bookstore this morning and it showed how to hand quilt using a hoop but using a rocking motion to get several stitches on the needle at once. *Insert sounds of hand slapping forehead here. I haven't tried it yet myself but I think it will make the whole process quite a bit speedier. My mother-in-law took some beginner's quilting classes in 2004 and showed me what she had learned after each class but I got to the sandwiching and quilting stage before she did so I had to figure it out myself. Clearly I skipped an important page! I am looking forward to trying this out.

I love Tonya's suggestion to include a dragon in the quilt. I have quilted some rays around the sun and a cloud in one of the blocks but because I have used cotton quilting thread it doesn't stand out unless you are looking closely at it, see what I mean? I think I will use embroidery thread as per Lazy Gal's suggestion and try my hand at a dragon and a knight in the castle section and a couple of windows and a door on the other buildings. Now to go through the colouring books to find a basic dragon outline I can use!

In other very excited news our oven, which hasn't worked since before Christmas, was repaired yesterday and we baked brownies to celebrate. Mr Duyvken and G had some fun in the kitchen together and we have been enjoying the fruits of their labour ever since. The recipe was recently given to us by a friend from Mr Duyvken's triathlon club and it certainly lives up to it's name:

The Ultimate Triple Chocolate Brownies

125g butter, chopped
200g dark chocolate
1/2 cup caster cugar
2 eggs beaten lightly
1 1/4 cups plain flour
180g white chocolate, chopped
125g milk chocolate, chopped

Grease 19cm square cake pan, line base and sides with baking paper.
Combine butter and dark chocolate in medium saucepan, stir over low heat until melted.
Cool 10 mins.
Stir in sugar, eggs then flour.
Mix in remaining chocolate and spread into pan.
Bake 180C oven for about 30mins.
Cool in pan.
Slice and sprinkle with icing sugar.

2 comments:

jackie :

Good for you starting a blog. I don't know anything about quilting maybe I will give it ago one day maybe when my kids go to school.

shellyC :

Fantastic quilt and without a machine....amazing!! Have had a go and quick and easy quilting and yesterday had a go at machine quilting.....would highly recommned you getting a machine.

Duyvken All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger